Thursday, February 2, 2012

Imbolc, our Mid Winter Rebirth

Credit: weheartit.com
This morning as I began preparing my personal rituals I was going to do for Imbolc, I thought wait....Maybe folks would like to know this information as well, so here it goes...

Imbolc is a Gaelic celebration that was, and for many still is, a festival of the hearth and home, and a celebration of the lengthening days and the early signs of spring.  It serves as a midpoint for many between the dark, internal, and womb like energies of winter and the lighter, crowning, and re/birth energies of spring.  In the earth based lores it is the halfway point between the Winter Solstice and the Spring Equinox.  Fire and purification are an important aspect as well.  So candles and fires can be a part of the celebrations.  Makes total sense, since with spring comes more light of the days and our spirits.

As a part of my coming rebirth (what I am marking this Imbolc) I am claiming the new me that has been on deck for what feels like a hundred years.  But I must be honest and say that even though I have been frustrated, at a loss for words, and even a couple of times doubled over in tears up to this point, I know it has all been for a greater, stronger, more focused me.  I wouldn't change a single moment, action, thought, word, or understanding.  Transformation of the self is not for the faint at heart.  Neither can it be ushered in by a personal assistant.  We must do the work in order to reap the benefits.  It's a simple equation, although we make it hard at times.  

Below I laying out some representations of what that midpoint can represent.  Each of us have images in our mind of what these symbols are.  I challenge all of us to see beyond the mere words and give meaning to the symbols.  Does this move you?  Do you need to develop something else? Decide for yourself what you will do with this information and how you will use it to assist your personal goals.  Maybe daily, maybe hourly, or maybe always.  Ritual is a lot of things, but for me it is mainly personalized.  Make these symbols real for you, be it a deity, a food, a saced text, or even a family ancestor.  We give energy to that which we believe.  So figure what you believe.


Credit: bridalbouquet..blogspot.com

 Imbolc Symbols


Deities
Virgin/Maiden Goddesses

Concepts
Growth & Renewal
Fertility

Herbs
Coltsfoot, Heather, Iris

Incense
Basil, Cinnamon, Myrrh



-Andrea/Drea of Waters






















No comments:

Translate