Wednesday, November 1, 2017

The dead that never dies

credit: telesur.com
Time of the Dead
Yesterday, October 31st, through tomorrow, November 2nd, is a period known as Dia De Muertos or Day of the Dead. These few days are a chance each year for veneration of ancestors. In other words a celebration of our dead. 

Observe the Dead
A holiday with origins in Mexico's Aztec Empire, Dia de Muertos is now celebrated internationally. This time of year brings the opportunity to reflect, uplift, remember, and behold the lives and legacies of our ancestors.  Whether young or old all of our ancestors have lessons and subsequent spiritual power for us. Take time to honor them and you will find blessings bestowed upon you in return.


credit: tripsavvy.com
Listen to the Dead
My personal Day of the Dead has already begun. I have purchased a marigold plant in honor of my maternal grandmother and I am offering flowers and incense to all of my ancestors. Later this evening I will sit in mediation and hear the lessons they have for me this year. Although I do my best to walk and talk to my ancestors on a regular basis I am always most excited about this time of the year. For me it is the nudge I need to recognize that my dead never really do die. 

Remember the Dead
Below are suggestions of ways to remember your loved ones from now til November 2nd and beyond. We don't need this day to know that our ancestors walk with us and live in our daily lives, but making the effort yields so much goodness and light in our lives. Do not be convinced ancestor veneration is a part of darkness it is not. Saying to the world my people came to this world and they matter is about as light filled as it can be. Don't just reclaim our time in days like these but RECLAIM OURSELVESAnd for those out there with recent ancestors or even those that may be close to the veil of life and death, decide for yourself if celebrating is right for you. Only you will know if marking this day will bring you solace.





Ideas to Connect to Ancestors




credit: melodijolola.com



Make an Altar/Ofrenda 



Cook Ancestral/Traditional Foods



Visit Ancestral Graves



Look at Photographs



Talk with Others about Ancestors



Use Objects/Wear Clothing 



Write Letters to Ancestors


--Andrea


1 comment:

Noerena Abookire, Ph.D. said...

Andrea, This is a beautiful post, as all of your are, but this one spoke to my heart in a way that was healing. I am going to share it with the clients I work with in recovery. So many have lost so many friends and loved ones, and often I think they fear connecting with those who overdosed...not knowing if the dose was intensional or a mistake.
I am so grateful for the spiritual path I have been walking, and I am so very blessed to have you in the same circle of light.
Sending you lots of love, light and laughter, "Dr. Noe".

Translate